Tuesday, October 11, 2011

James Update

     Back in June, James moved up to Hudson, NY to live with his mother.  I was able to watch a little of his activity on Facebook.  It seemed like he did go to summer school and he had a job working nights at Walmart.  About a month ago, he moved back to Lakeland.  He said on FB, "Old Life, New Start".  He called our friend Greg for a ride from the train station.  He was going to stay with his brother until he got a place of his own.
 
     Well, it has been a little over six months now since he has left our home.  About two weeks ago, the day before the 6 month mark, we got a call.  It took Tim a second to realize who was on the phone.  He wasn't expecting James to be on the other end of the phone.  Anyways, James asked him where he was at.  James said he was in the neighborhood and was wondering if Tim could meet him at the house.  Tim told him that he could meet him there in about 20 minutes.  In the meantime, I was pulling up to Tim's office.  He was heading to the car and told me that I was to come with him.  We had no idea what to expect.  We had no idea what we were going to say.  I don't think either one of us expected for him to call so soon.   We pulled up to the house and he and his girlfriend were standing on the steps.  We gave him big hugs as we said hello.  (This is where it gets good)  With his girlfriend standing off in the background, James begins to tell us (in a slightly urgent tone) how they had come into town and his aunt's car broke down.  His girlfriend, Natalie's, brother was suppose to come get her but, they couldn't get in touch with him. Natalie was suppose to be home at 3:30p and her brother wasn't answering his phone.  "So, do you think you could give us a ride?"  

     WHAT???  I wish I could have seen the looks on our faces.  After living with us for 5 years, walking out of our home without a word, and lying in the process, the first thing he has to say to us is that?  I was so stunned that I almost laughed.  That is definitely NOT how we thought that would go.  I looked at Tim and we said ok.  I thought that maybe during the ride he would venture into a little bit deeper of a conversation. We drove them clear across town while he asked us to update him on all that he had missed.  He was acting as if nothing had happened and no time had passed.  It was very surreal.  I asked him a few questions about his time in NY and about his plans now that he was back in FL.
We pulled up to Natalie's house and they both start to hop out.  We started to say goodbye, when James said he was just walking her to her door.  Tim and I sat there in complete shock and I am still wanting to laugh.  I thought maybe he was waiting for her to be out of the car to dive into an explanation of his actions and how he was sorry.... (Tim and I both harbor NO ill feeling against James.  He is a kid making choices like one).

     James got back in the car.  He asked us to take him to his brothers house.  Just after saying that, he did ask if we could take him buy our building, so he could see the newly finished renovations.  Tim told him no...we had visitors in town and he was very busy with that.  James' tone of voice seemed a little sad, but he said ok.  There was a tiny bit more small talk and then there was silence for the next 20 minutes.  I had to keep looking out the window in order to not start laughing.  I decided to not fight to carry the conversation.  If he didn't have anything to say, then he could feel the uncomfortable silence.  I wasn't thinking that with anger in my heart.  We got to his brother's house and he thanked us as he got out of the car.  He said he would see us soon.

     How many times do I do that to God?  I walk away and then expect to pick up where I left off without any repentance.  I still laugh about it when I think about it.  Who knows.... he may have planned to say something and then chickened out.  He never was good at admitting when he was wrong or apologizing.  If we hadn't been in such a state of shock about the entire thing, we may have been able to help ease him into that conversation.  But, he knows that we love him and that he can count on us.  He wouldn't have called us otherwise.  This will open the door for the harder conversations the next time he calls.  
I don't think he is in school, he said he was waiting for transcripts to be sent from NY to FL.  We haven't heard from or seen him since that day and he is no longer on fb.  We continue to pray for him and wait patiently for his heart to be transformed by God.  Only God can change his heart, just like God is the only one who can change mine.

Thanksgiving is coming up and I know the holidays are going to be hard without him....

1 comment: